Friday, September 1, 2023

FIVE PERSONAL SOURCES OF NEWS


    As we get older we realize how important staying up to date with the news is. Whether it's with current events, dealing with health crises or political debates with presidential candidates, staying informed is helpful to everyone. The only struggle with absorbing news is where we get our facts from. News stations have slowly shifted their stories from actual information to being more of an entertainment source. Personally, I get my news sources from stations trust depending on the topics at hand.

1. Fox News

    Fox News might be a bit of a debate but the only times I really use it is to watch the presidential debates. Live events such as this are reliable in the sense that they can't bend the truth in live time. Now would I normally go to Fox News for topics they're covering? No, but I feel they're reputable enough to trust for live coverage. Fox News has come a long way from being perceived as a reputable news source to more of an entertainment night show. While Fox News isn't my first choice, it definitely has reliable stories we can trust. 

2. Apple News


    Apple News definitely keeps me up to date with events going on that I can't watch at my computer or read right away. Like any news source, Apple News is something many people don't talk about mainly because it's an Apple-specific news source. However, I find that the lesser known a news source is, the less biased they are. Now just because Apple News isn't everyone's first pick, doesn't mean it's not biased, but the story coverage is full of detail and the easy-to-follow format is a nice added touch.

3. TikTok Lisa Remillard

    While I'm not just picking TikTok to talk about, someone specific comes to mind when I watch my news on TikTok. Lisa Remillard. She was a journalist for 20 years prior to starting up her TikTok page. I discovered her back in 2020, and what she did helped me get a better understanding of what's going on in the world. She breaks new coverages down to make them easier to understand, and she also gets straight to the point, leaving most of the unnecessary bias out of her videos. Even though TikTok might not be the most reliable of sources, you might be able to find good resources even if it's small, to make your understanding of news topics better.

4. CNN

    CNN is another American news network very similar to Fox News in the sense of what they cover and how they cover it. Like Fox News, I usually use CNN throughout the day to read anything interesting that's happening. Since I mostly read all my news, I like to compare what's going on with different news sources. It's a good way to find consistent information as well as have multiple resources especially if they're saying the same or different things. 

5. News 12 New Jersey

    The final news source is the local network in my hometown state of New Jersey. Usually in the mornings, my parents will have this on so I sit down with them and watch the current New Jersey stories unfold. Since going to High Point University, I feel somewhat out of touch with what's going on, but I try to watch it every now and again to stay updated with current events and political news that happens in New Jersey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

EOTO #2 Reactions

      After watching all the presentations in class, the group that really piqued my interest was the group 3. Their discussions on the theo...